Thursday, February 27, 2014

Jambalaya

I've never made Jambalaya. 

I was always hesitant because my husband and I aren't really spicy food people...

But, this recipe was delicious and I would definitely make it again.

The best part about it is that you can add in any meats or vegetables that you have on hand.

I also made my own Creole Seasoning and I'll put that recipe at the end of this entry.

My 15 month old son actually devoured his bowl. 

I didn't think he would even try it, let alone like it as much as he did.

This recipe was inspired by www.100daysofrealfood.com



Organic Butter, Organic Italian Sausage, Organic Red Pepper, Organic Red Onion, Organic Celery, Organic Garlic, Creole Seasoning, S & P, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Shrimp, Bay Leaves, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Vegetable Stock, Organic Scallions

Combine 2 Tbs butter and 1/2 pound of sausage in a large saucepan over high heat. 
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the 1 large bell pepper, 1 onion, 3 celery ribs, 1 small head of garlic (I always grate mine), and Creole seasoning.

Saute over high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies have browned and caramelized.
Add 2 large tomatoes, 3/4 pound shrimp, and 2 bay leaves and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add the 1 1/2 cups rice, 2 cups broth, and 1 cup water.
Stir the mixture to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Garnish with scallions and serve!



Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning:

2 1/2 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs cayenne pepper
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs dried thyme

Combine all ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment