Saturday, February 22, 2014

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Growing up with a very Italian father, pasta sauce or tomato sauce was always known as Gravy.

My dad made his own gravy every couple of months and canned it. He would cringe at the thought of buying a gravy in the store.

Even though he never used organic product, now I know why he would make his own gravy.

The things these sauce companies put in their products is insane. Just like any processed and canned/boxed items, there are so many unnecessary added items.

I've made red gravy or sauce a couple different ways throughout the years. I have still yet to get my dad's recipe (I should really get on that haha) but I have found some other pretty good ones.

It is very simple, not many ingredients and clean and healthy.

This is a recipe I found through www.100dayofrealfood.com




Kosher Salt, EVOO, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Carrots, Organic Red Onion

Add about 2 pounds tomatoes to boiling water and boil for a minute and drain.
Let the tomatoes cool until you can handle them.
Peel the skin off, this should be easy now.

Place the tomatoes, 2/3 cup chopped onion, 2/3 cup chopped celery, 2/3 cup chopped or shredded carrots in a large pot.

Cook uncovered at a slow simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add 3 Tbs EVOO and bring to a slightly stronger simmer for 15 minutes more.
Stir frequently and mash tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
Taste and add salt as needed.

 Serve with your favorite organic whole wheat pasta and Parmesan cheese!


No comments:

Post a Comment