Monday, March 3, 2014

Whole Wheat Bread

I have recently adventured into making my own bread.

Like cough medicine, there are so many unnecessary added ingredients in bread. And forget white bread. White bread is as far away from anything natural as you can get. If you're going to eat bread, rolls, bagels, etc, stick with 100% whole wheat and as little ingredients as possible.

I've done a ton of searching for store-bought breads and even the organic, gluten free kinds still contain a lot of ingredients. Unfortunately, for times sake, the best way to eat bread with limited ingredients is to make it yourself.

My first batch turned out alright. I forgot to cut a slit down the middle and I think it would have helped in making the loaf less dense. But, for my first time out I think it was pretty good.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, but I used only whole wheat flour and coconut oil instead of canola oil.


Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Whole Wheat Flour, Organic Milk, Active Dry Yeast, Raw Organic Honey, Kosher Salt

Dissolve 1 packet of active dry yeast in 1 cup warm water.

Stir in 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup honey, and 2 Tbs oil.

Add 2 cups flour and 1 Tbs salt.
Stir to combine.
Add the rest of the flour.

Stir to form a shaggy dough.
Let stand for 20 minutes.

Using a dough hook in the electric mixer, knead the dough for 5-10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and forms a ball.

Clean out the mixing bowl and film it with oil.
Roll the dough around the bowl to coat.
Cover and let rise 1-2 hours.


Divide the dough in 2 and shape into balls.
Let rest for another 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°.

Shape each ball into a loaf and transfer to loaf pans.
Let rise again for about 30-40 minutes.
Slash the top of the loaves with a serrated knife and put them in the oven.
Turn down the heat to 375° and bake 30-35 minutes.

Remove loaves from pans and let them cool completely before slicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment