Friday, August 2, 2013

Cottage Pie

Cottage Pie.
 
A take on Shepherd's Pie, no less.
 
The only difference is that Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb mince and Cottage Pie is made with beef mince.
 
Both equally tasty.
 
For me, this recipe did not turn out at I had planned...I have to blame the baby on this one.
 
Poor little guy was sick and while this was only supposed to take 1 1/2 hours, at the most, it ended up taking me almost 3...
 
And I lopped off the tip of my pinky while peeling the parsnip and burnt my fingers draining the potatoes.
 
And I didn't get a chance to drain the meat as well as I would have.
 
Well, there are my excuses for the day, haha.
 
But, it didn't stop us from gobbling up our bowls when we finally sat down to eat!
 
 
 

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stick, diced
2 pounds ground beef
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
 
Topping:
1 pound potatoes, diced and peeled
13oz parsnips, diced and peeled
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup milk
 
Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 2.5 liter ovenproof dish.
 
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the onion, carrot, and celery, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
 
Add the ground beef and cook for 7 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
 
 
Add the stock, soy sauce, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and bay leaves and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 
 
Leave to cool.
 
Remove the bay leaves and stir in the parsley.
 
To make the topping, boil the potato and parsnip in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
 
 
Drain, return to the pot and mash with the butter and milk.
 
Spoon the filling into the dish and spread the topping over top.
 

 
Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment